Sunday, October 30, 2005

I'm back! Liz Phair and Switchfoot cd reviews!

I’m so sorry that I’ve been on hiatus for a while. It’s not that I gave up on the blog, just because lately I’ve been so damn busy that I couldn’t find time to write reviews for my recent listens. If I worked for a newspaper, I should have been fired a long time ago ;-) . These reviews come to life so damn late, I know, but I hope you’re still around and keep supporting me. Remember to add a comment if you’ve got something to say. Here you go. Keep checkin’ back, I still got plenty to post, including all-new cd reviews of Ashlee Simpson, Franz Ferdinand, Alicia Keys, Santana and more.

Liz Phair/ Somebody’s Miracle

To be honest, I used to have no idea who Liz was when she was an indie rocker, it was only she released those two catchy pop rock singles ‘Why Can’t I’ and ‘Extraordinary’ (which were both added to film soundtracks) that I knew her name. However, her new album didn’t quite live up to my expectations. It’s a clear failure. The songs are mediocre, her vocals somehow sound terrible. There’s almost no potential hit that can score as much as ‘Why Can’t I’or ‘Extraordinary’, except ‘Count On My Love’, which should have been the first single off the album instead of ‘Everything To Me’. It all seems to be an uninspirational, boring mess. Too bad that Liz can never really popular although she tried to change her directions. This time around, she seems lost, maybe what she should do next is go back to indie stuff.

Rating: 2/5 stars
Trackworthy: Count On My Love, Giving It All To You, Everything To Me, Table For One.

Switchfoot/ Nothing Is Sound

What do Liz Phair and Switchfoot have in common? Well, they both receive mainstream attention with big soundtrack hits ( remember ‘Dare You To Move’ from ‘A Walk To Remember’ and ‘Meant To Live’ from ‘Spider-man 2’?) . And neither of their new albums impress me. Except the outstanding track ‘Stars’, the rest of the album can be as boring as the bible (sorry if that offends). Most of the tracks are just bland, they sound like they try too hard to be emotional and rocking and religious at the same time. If you want to learn some diddly-doo lessons from the lyrics, the first thing you have to get through is the music. I just hate it when you get all hyped up for an album and then find out it isn’t as great as you think it’s supposed to be. This sophomore effort won’t ever get near the 2 million copies mark of their debut, those are my words.

Rating: 2/5 stars
Trackworthy: Stars, The Shadow Proves The Sunshine, The Setting Sun, Politicians, We Are On Tonight.

PS: BTW, have a creepy, wacky Halloween, folks! I’ve just finished The Simpsons ‘Treehouse of Horror’ back-to-back marathon, and man, great toon stuff right there.

blog comments powered by Disqus