Wednesday, December 28, 2005

My Last CD Reviews of 2005: Shakira & Lindsay Lohan!

Shakira/ Oral Fixation Vol. 2

I was eagerly waiting for this sequel to Fijacion Oral Vol. 1, because now I can actually understand what she sings about. Not to forget that cd cover is sizzling hot, too. However, this album doesn’t quite live up to my expectations. First, the songs are not all new. ‘Something’ is the English translation for ‘En Tus Pupilas’, as ‘The Day And The Time’ is for ‘Dia Especial’. Both songs are really great in Latin, but somehow in English they just lost part of their appeal. Maybe it’s because of her way of words are different, or I’m just too used to the Latin versions. Secondly, the vulnerability of this cd is a little higher than its first volume. All of the songs are likeable, but the tunes are a bit less attractive and catchy than those on first volume. Musically, the compositons are really creative and energetic, no song sounds like the other ones. Lyrically, this time Shakira touched on more serious stuff like religion, the entertainment industry, Timor… and that’s a good thing indeed (though I have to mention her major grammatical errors, like ‘She never lose her nerves’ or ‘This is the day and the time’ ;-) So my conclusion is : this cd is just as good as its previous one, however, I just found it hard to pick out as many real favorite ones as those in Vol. 1. Still a formidable showcase of her amazing talents, so yes, this one I recommend.

Rating: 3,25/5 stars
Trackworthy: All 13 tracks.


Lindsay Lohan/ A Little More Personal (Raw)

I still don’t know why I like to give to a try at most overhyped pop records. Maybe just to hope that there’s something real good there that I could be missing. Not this one, though. I wouldn’t mind at all if I didn’t choose to try this one, it would be just enough waiting for the follow-up singles to arrive, if the singles could be that good. This album is probably one of the weakest pop records of 2005. The sophomore effort from triple-treat Lindsay Lohan is just a failure. First, I must mention her vocal abilities. As much as I like her as a beautiful and talented young actress, I must admit that she’s not a good singer. She sounds okay on her previous three singles from ‘Speak’, but this time around her voice’s become so annoying and mediocre. She tried real hard to sound all loud and angry, but to me it’s like a little girl whining at her mom. Except the melodramatic, emotional track ‘Confessions Of A Broken Heart (Daughter To Father)’, the rest of the album is all kinda pointless listening, it’s unlikely you can feel anything from her personal lyrics if the tunes are too much a mess. The two covers ‘I Want You To Want Me’ (which I guess could be the next single) and ‘Edge Of Seventeen’ are okay, in demo quality.Overall, what she thought to be a good move actually turned out to be a bad move. If this is what she called ‘Raw’, then I’d prefer ‘Ripe’.

Rating: 2/5 stars
Trackworthy: Confessions Of A Broken Heart (Daughter To Father), I Live For The Day, I Want You To Want Me, My Innocence, If It's Alright, Fastlane.

blog comments powered by Disqus