Sunday, February 12, 2006

Let’s Talk About: Grammy 2006

On Thursday night (according to my time zone), like everybody, I tuned in to watch the Grammy 2006 night, expecting one hell of show. I wasn’t let down, though three hours seemed a little tiresome at times. Most of the performances were incredibly great, but the most impressive, breathtaking ones were from Kelly Clarkson, Coldplay, Kanye West and Jamie Foxx, John Legend, and the new rendition of Yesterday from Linkin Park, Jay Z and suprisingly, Paul McCartney. The tributes to Sly & The Family Stone and New Orleans were lame, though, the singers seemed out of place. And then I don’t feel the same for the winning results. They didn’t turn out to be exactly what I expected, since I only got 11 out of 27 predictions right (and 2 that I think should win actually ended up winning for real). How come U2 grabbed 5 Grammys? Don’t get me wrong, I think they’re a decent band, but I just don’t get the whole fuss. Since I haven’t listened to How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, I’ve got no right to judge but Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is really a bad song, in my opinion. I know Bono wrote it in rememberance of his deceased dad, and it’s all supposed to be about connections, faith and all that jazz, but I just don’t understand why so many people love that song, while I don’t even like it. It’s funny how Maroon 5 won Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal with a live version of This Love, because the album version was released 3 years ago. I do appreciate Kelly Clarkson and John Legend’s triumphs, they totally deserved it. But so many artists got missed out. Coldplay is a great example, they didn’t bring home any Grammies because U2 stole them all from them. Being a big fan of Coldplay, I know that’s a bit biased but Coldplay got the rights to win all of their nominees. The same to Keane, Sheryl Crow, and Fiona Apple, they went home empty-handed because the winners were too strong to beat. That’s always the problem with Grammy, awards most of the time go to the elders. Don’t even get me started on the ones that deserved nominations but were left out in the end.

By the way, if you want to know about who won and all, click this link for the whole list: http://grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/Annual_Show/48_nominees.aspx

blog comments powered by Disqus