Sunday, May 07, 2006

Picks Of The Week #22

Lyrics Of The Week

Talk about Alanis’ wordplay. She gave us a bunch of questions with words we have to look up in the dictionary, and then said ‘thank you’to India, leaving us all confused. Now that’s a great song with skilled lyricism.

Thank U
Alanis Morissette

How about getting off of these antibiotics
How about stopping eating when I'm filled up
How about them transparent dangling carrots
How about that ever elusive kudo

Thank you India
Thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty
Thank you consequence
Thank you thank you silence

How about me not blaming you for everything
How about me enjoying the moment for once
How about how good it feels to finally forgive you
How about grieving it all one at a time

Thank you India
Thank you terror
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you frailty
Thank you consequence
Thank you thank you silence

The moment I let go of it was
The moment I got more than I could handle
The moment I jumped off of it was
The moment I touched down

How about no longer being masochistic
How about remembering your divinity
How about unabashedly bawling your eyes out
How about not equating death with stopping

Thank you India
Thank you providence
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you nothingness
Thank you clarity
Thank you thank you silence.



Download This!

Keane/ Is It Any Wonder

I’m really excited about Keane’s new album ‘Under The Iron Sea’, which will be released in June 20. This album’s gonna be everything Keane’s not, and their sizzling new single really gives a taste of that. No pretty piano tunes…at all. Just some explosive guitar riffs, and political remarks about the UK’s involvement in war. The only thing that belonged to the old Keane here is Tom Chaplin’s vocals. This is such a brave move, considering how many fans got hooked by their beautiful, melancholy piano-driven tunes before. I think they can do better than this, but still it’s a catchy song, the basic elements of Keane are still there. Can’t wait to hear the rest of the album.
EDIT: I guess Keane got me (and others) fooled. Those guitar riffs you hear aren't coming from a guitar at all. They're just piano under vintage synth effects, but they sound so believable. Nice trick.


Flashback

Snow Patrol/ Run

Songs like this I can crave. It starts all quietly with whispery vocals, then lights up with the very tuneful chorus, and all of a sudden it bursts into loud guitar riffs and all. Makes you wanna run free on some fields at midnight, like what they did in the music video. Love it. I’ve already got their new album ‘Eyes Open’, must listen to it as soon as I have time, so I think it’s relevant to mention this in Flashback.


Music Video Of The Week

Keane/ Atlantic

This web-only single offers a different angle at Keane’s new sound, this time more similar to the old Keane with the piano intro. However, the aura is darker and more epic. The video for it, directed by Irvine Welsh, has an extended version of the song, and it’s their first black-and-white video. The eerie video focused on a bearded man walking on a middle-of-nowhere shore, encountering some weird strangers, having no idea that they’re all here for the same reason and all of them are about to meet a mystic figure. Got you curious, huh? Go watch it!





I no longer do Contest Of The Week, because I think the idea of looking for giveaways over the internet and post links turned boring, and pointless now. To fill in the gap, I’ve got something trashier up my sleeves. Beware, this can make you laugh your ass off. Found it on another blog I read. It’s dubbed: The Worst Music Video Ever. The video’s for a song of a Finnish group in the 80s, and trust me, it’s awesomely bad from start to finish. Enjoy!



In case you can't see it, here's the link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8610362188397291938

blog comments powered by Disqus