Sunday, May 14, 2006

Picks Of The Week #23

Lyrics Of The Week

Lovely lyrics for cuddly couples, the British way. Hear these words with the tunes and you can't help but put a grin on your face. Suddenly, life is all beautiful and love sprays in the summer air. Yeehee!

The One I Love
David Gray

Gonna close my eyes
Girl and watch you go
Running through this life darling
Like a field of snow
As the tracer glides
In its graceful arc
Send a little prayer out to ya
‘Cross the falling dark

Tell the repo man
And the stars above
That you’re the one I love
Yeah

Perfect summers night
Not a wind that breathes
Just the bullets whispering gentle
‘Mongst the new green leaves
There’s things I might have said
Only wish I could
Now I'm leaking life faster
Than I'm leaking blood

Tell the repo man
And the stars above
That you’re the one I love
You’re the one I love
The one I love
Yeehee

Don’t see Elysium
Don’t see no fiery hell
Just the lights up bright baby
In the bay hotel
Next wave coming in
Like an ocean roar
Won’t you take my hand darling
On that old dancefloor

We can twist and shout
Do the turtle dove
And you’re the one I love
You’re the one I love
The one I love
Yeehee!



Download This!

Muse/ Supermassive Black Holes

Spanking new single taken from the upcoming Muse album 'Black Holes And Revelations', which will be released in June. The song let us see Muse head for a new direction, less of arena-rock stuff, more of feel-good dancefloor glam rock type, as they said they wanted this Franz Ferdinand style. Questionably coincidental, the beats and the intro guitar riffs are very similar to those of Britney Spears' 'Do SOmethin'' (hard to believe, but listen to those two songs and you recognize the odd similarity). It's funny how I think the chorus sounds like a Russian song entry for the Eurovision contest. I'll need time to get used to this all, but overall, a good, catchy rock song that can actually be played to fill the floors at clubs.


Flashback

Bic Runga/ Get Some Sleep

Love, love, love this song. Flawlessly-crafted singer-songwriter soft-rock hooks from this New Zealand songbird. The song's feel-good melodies never quite gives you any sleep, on the contrary, it makes you want to grab your coat and wander around the streets, stare at the moon, and quietly sing along to yourself. Do believe you might be having fun. Must.Listen.


Music Video Of The Week

Sugababes/ Follow Me Home

Although the song's just a weak attempt at Britpop ballads for the Babes, the video is beautifully shot on real location in Prague. It was set in the cold war, with the girls portrayed as 'honeytrappers', wearing actual vintage clothes, and there are these weird-looking army old men hanging aroung with young ladies. It's got that kind of basic set-up: each sings seperately in a different room (I'm still not used to seeing Amelle instead of Mutya), then all join together for a final hook outside the park. The video brings this eerie, solemn, gloomy, mildly creepy mood. Nice pop charm. (Don't let nobody know if you actually like this song!)

blog comments powered by Disqus