Sunday, July 23, 2006

Picks Of The Week #30

Lyrics Of The Week

So I'm gonna be honest and say that I first heard this song one week ago, via The Science Of Sleep trailer. That movie looks amazing, I will make a post about it soon. I have no idea this is such an old song. Listening to this makes me feel like she is sitting there in the empty room, in the dark corner, with the window shut, and her voice starts lolling around. Love the angst that lurks in the lyrics.


After Hours
The Velvet Underground

One, Two, Three
If you close the door
The night could last forever
Leave the sunshine out
And say hello to never

All the people are dancing
And they're having such fun
I wish it could happen to me

But if you close the door
I'd never have to see the day again

If you close the door
The night could last forever
Leave the wine-glass out
And drink a toast to never

Oh, someday I know
Someone will look into my eyes
And say: Hellooooo!
You're my very special one

But if you close the door
I'd never have to see the day again

Dark party bars, shiny Cadillac cars
And the people on subways and trains
Looking gray in the rain, as they stand disarrayed
Oh, but people look well in the dark

And if you close the door
The night could last forever
Leave the sunshine out
And say hello to never

All the people are dancing
And they're having such fun
I wish it could happen to me

Cause if you close the door
I'd never have to see the day again
I'd never have to see the day again, once more
I'd never have to see the day again


Bonus: download an mp3 of the song.
Download: The Velvet Underground - After Hours


Download This!

Zero 7/ Waiting To Die

Decent coffee table music. As laidback as it should be. The title may suggest a pessimitic theme, but actually it's a very jazzy, summery, listenable song. I find myself humming along after a couple of listens. And the music video makes burning paper seem cool. Chill out to this song.

Download: Zero 7 - Waiting To Die


Flashback

Orwell/ Clair


Another piece of gentle, summery, twee indie pop. It's got a retro vibe, with sweet, Stuart-Murdoch-esque vocals. It's not gonna stuck on your mind, but it's always pleasant to listen to. Lovely, lovely midtempo stuff. Bonus point: You can totally dedicate it to someone you know named Clair (with no 'e')

Download: Orwell - Clair


Music Video Of The Week

Muse/ Knights Of Cydonia

Wow, it's been a long time since I saw a video this distinctly impressive from Joseph Kahn. That new Ciara video is not exactly an eye-popper, but this one sure is. It's like a sequel to 'Get Yourself High'. Hard to describe. Let's just say it's a German-kungfu-western-sci-fi-B-mini-movie in 6 minutes. Wacky, but fun and different. You gotta watch to believe it.



Bonus: Love that? Download it home.

Download: Muse - Knights Of Cydonia Music Video (MOV format)



blog comments powered by Disqus