Saturday, August 19, 2006

Saturday Is For Soundtrack: Cuts From Girl, Interrupted & Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

New feature on Zeon's Music Blog, y'all!
I called it 'Saturday Is For Soundtrack'. Catchy, hah.
So here's the deal. Every week, I'm going to post a song or two from a movie's soundtrack that reminds me of the great, captivating moments.
And for the first pick, I give you not one, but two, from two movies I recently watched again on cable tv.

Skeeter Davis/ The End Of The World [Girl, Interrupted OST]

This is an old school pop song from the sixties. Angelina Jolie got her Academy Award For Female Supporting Role for this movie, and Winona Ryder, Brittany Murphy also starred as these psycho girls. Very good arty movie. It was played when Daisy was found dead hanging herself in the bathroom. The song really helped build the intensity of the scene. The melodies are so haunting and melancholy that every time I heard this late at night, I just picture this whole scene again in my head, imagine the sounds coming from a gramophone, and I've got chills down my spines. It's that good. If you're in the mood for depressing music from decades ago, download this one. Unfortunately, you're not supposed to like it unless you're over 60 years old. So guess I just gave away my age. Kiddin'!

Download: Skeeter Davis - The End Of The World


Beck/ Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes [Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind OST]


A wistful, mellow number from Beck produced by Jon Brion for this Michel Gondry-directed indie arthouse movie, starring Jim Carrey (no, it's a drama), Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo and Elijah Woods. It's a great, weird movie with some crazy visual effects (it's Gondry, people), a zig-zag, hard to follow structure, good scripts, and a good theory that makes you think: what if we can erase the memories of the ones we love, and we never know they used to exist and bring so much joy to our lives? Anyway, this lo-fi song is great for night driving. Fact: It's a cover of a Korgis song.

Download:
Beck - Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes

blog comments powered by Disqus