Monday, September 25, 2006

Picks Of The Week #36

Lyrics Of The Week

You know how it feels when an artist has been around for, like, a decade and you completely know nothing about them and then you hear a new song from a new release and think: 'Wow. Good new act'. You do further research and find out that the artist is a music veteran, back in the days when you were still listening to...S Club 7? That makes me feel mortified. And The Mountain Goats is the band I want to mention. The duo recently had a new album out called 'Get Lonely', whose songs focus heavily on the post-breakup subject. And this is the song that gets me into their music. Delicate acoustic guitar arrangements, airy half-falsetto and a painfully melancholy, detailed lyrics like these. Although the experience was ruined a little bit after watching how the lead singer awkwardly looks and lip-synches in the music video, it's still one of my favorite songs of 2006. Utterly beautiful.


Woke Up New
The Mountain Goats

On the morning when I woke up without you for the first time
I felt free and I felt lonely and I felt scared
And I began to talk to myself almost immediately
Not being used to being the only person there

The first time I made coffee for just myself, I made too much of it
But I drank it all just cause you hate it when I let things go to waste
And I wandered through the house like a little boy lost in the fall
And an astronaut could've seen the hunger in my eyes from space

And I sang
Oh, What do I do? What do I do? What do I do?
What do I do without you?

On the morning when I woke up without you for the first time
I was cold so I put on a sweater and I turned up the heat
And the walls began to close in and I felt so sad and freightened
I practically ran from the living room and into the street

And the wind began to blow and the trees began to pant
And the world in its cold way started coming alive
And I stood there like a buisness man waiting for the train
And I got ready for the future to arrive

And I sang
Oh, What do I do? What do I do? What do I do?
What do I do without you?


Download: The Mountain Goats - Woke Up New


Download This!

Jet/ Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

Jet's back! The return of the tambourine! The Aussie rock band comes back with another stomping single in style of 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl'. Might not be as infectious, but still hella rockin' good. Headbanger. Their new album's entitled 'Shine On'.

Download: Jet - Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is


Flashback

The Dandy Warhols/ We Used To Be Friends


I first heard this song from The O.C. and immediately fell in love with it. Starts out quietly, then the 'ah-ah' flows and ebbs, and the high-pitched, high-energy chorus kicks in! Just make me want to jump up and down! Best bit: The two-time hand claps. I'd turn this up loud whenever I walk on the streets and clap along. I'd label it 'poptastic rock song'.


Download: The Dandy Warhols - We Used To Be Friends


Music Video Of The Week

Paris Hilton/ Nothing In This World

Paris Hilton's actually releasing a second single (or third, if you count the horrible 'Turn It Up')! And am I cheap or is this song quite a little catchy pop song? Okay, let's not go further. The music video is a spoof of the underrated teen sex comedy 'The Girl Next Door', starring Elisha Cuthbert. And Elisha's totally cool with it by playing a brief cameo at the beginning of the video. So the 'trailer' thing's not a new idea (remember 'I'm Not Okay' of My Chemical Romance). And Paris doesn't seem comfortable doing what she's best at? Anyway, it's us tomfooleries that keep her fame machine running. Sigh... For your interest, the director is Scott Speer, who directed 'For You I Will' for Teddy Geiger. Watch out, Marc Webb!



Download: Download Nothing In This World Music Video (iPod MP4 Format) (via Fetch Me Some)


blog comments powered by Disqus