Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Camera Obscura: One ABBA Cover & One B-side




Camera Obscura is one of my pleansant finds of 2006. They make this kind of melancholy, nostalgic '60s-style pop, but they're no Belle & Sebastian. 'Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken' is definitely one of the best indie songs (and music videos) that manage to be both innovative in style and still catchy. Lead singer Tracy always kinda exudes deep sadness from both her looks and her vocals, and their nostalgia is no gimmick. When she said she prefer the Walkman to the iPods, you have no other choice but to believe her. So when I found out this band did a cover for ABBA's 'Super Trouper' for the Dermot O' Leary Sessions, I was so eager to listen to their take on the song.
Fact is, they did a real good job. Never have I thought an ABBA song can be quite that deep. It's just that they turned the happy bouncy Europop original version to this beautiful acoustic jam, and took the song to a never-before level. The power laid in Tracy's voice. She just made it sound damn sombre in the verse and then switched to 'It's okay, I'll be fine' in the chorus.
I've been playing this incessantly on my iPod ever since I downloaded it, and I recommend you guys to take a listen and see for yourself.

Also for long-time Camera Obscura fan, here's a b-side from their second single off 'Let's Get Out Of This Country', it's called 'Return To Send Her' and it's pretty good, too.

Nostalgia just feels good, doesn't it?

Camera Obscura - Super Trouper (ABBA Cover) (or YouSendIt link)
Camera Obscura - Return To Send Her (or YouSendIt link)

Buy it at Amazon


blog comments powered by Disqus