Monday, October 23, 2006

Inbox: Tahiti 80

This is a new feature that I make especially for indie artists who submit their work through my email address and whose music I'm actually interested in. To start off, let's have an insightful look at a French indie electronic pop band called 'Tahiti 80'. Here are a few things you should know about them:

  • Their name was taken from a souvenir T-shirt slogan.
  • They make this kind of soulful electronic pop that's plain fun to tap your toes to.
  • Their new album has the help of Neal Pogue Serban Ghenea, Outkast & NERD's sound engineers.
  • The first single 'Changes' off their third album 'Fosbury' (which will be released in the US this November) is a slice of upbeat catchy French pop. And they sing in English.
  • They kinda remind me of Phoenix, another good English-speaking French band.
  • This, below, is the music video for 'Changes', directed by Jonas Odell (who also directed Franz Ferdinand's 'Take Me Out' and Madonna's 'Music'). It's quite trippy. And it's got dancing bears! (okay, people in bear costumes dancing). Check it out. I quite like it.

  • This definitely won't be my last post about them. Can't wait for my copy to arrive!
  • If you like what you hear, let's make friends with them Parisians. Here's their MySpace.

blog comments powered by Disqus