Thursday, November 16, 2006

Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Justin Timberlake - Give It To Me


Okay, so I'm aware that this track has floated around the blogosphere for a few days now. It's obviously everywhere. Everybody has probably heard of it anyway. I just want to throw in my two cents on the song.
Putting aside all the negative vibes, I actually think it's pretty good. I like the beats and the synth line, and it's possibly gonna get stuck in my head after several playbacks though. (like what just happened with 'Wind It Up', I even found myself rapping a few lines unconsciously a few days ago...) Of course, being produced by performed by the man himself, it's star-studded with guest vocals from Nelly Furtado & Justin Timberlake, two of his recent 'customers'. All of that, and somehow there's something not right about it. It could have been better. Nelly and Justin's vocals somehow seemed forced. I don't know why but producers seem to get writer's block when it comes to their own records (see Pharrell).
So it's a fun, club-banging track, but it just doesn't possess the magnetism that 'Maneater' or 'My Love' has. In fact, it's more like a 'featuring Timbaland' track. I hope his collaborations with Chris Martin will be better than this first single paving the way for his new solo album. He's been booked by Bjork and Duran Duran too, so let's hope he's still got plenty of tricks in his beatbag.
By the way, do you find Justin's ambiguous dissing of Janet & Prince in his verse offensive? Because I don't, since I'm not the hugest fan of Prince and actually think it's somewhat okay to make fun of Janet these days. Anyway, in my opinion, it's just a whiny thing to do. Always find him a tad too whiny. Whiny's back!

Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado & Justin Timberlake - Give It To Me



Irrelevant Chantings:
It's funny, but I dreamed up an entire episode of Lost yesterday. Weird. My brain wrote its all twists and turns that are not relevant to any current plots of the show. The details faded away now, but it's...just weird. Too weird.
Speaking of weird, I just took a break for a few days and the traffic's already sinking real low. How come? (rhetorical question)
Coming up: indie overloaded. I'll finally get to talk about all these exciting new artists I've been loving, so look out for that.

blog comments powered by Disqus