Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2006 In A List: The Best of CD Artworks

Kick start with my favorite album artworks, the ones that caught my eyes instantly. Apparently, not all artists show off their lean stomaches and pretty hairdos on their cd covers. I just have a thing for those 'arty' artworks. Sometimes it's the cover that makes me decide to check out the music. So here you go, I've tried my best to remember all the ones I had seen toc come up with this list. Beside the number one, the others are in no particular orders.


Lily Allen - Alright, Still
I'd like to have this one in large size, autographed, all framed up, hung on the living room wall and called it pop f***ing art.


Tortoise - A Lazarus Taxon
Interesting Wikitrivia: The cover is the work of a retired Swiss police officer named Arnold Odermatt, who became noted for his pictures of accident scenes and police training, he often returned to accident scenes he had photographed to shoot them again once they were free of people. This photo is about 30 to 40 years old. Just way too cool.


Benoit Pioulard - Precis
Dreamy, and glistening.


Air - Late Night Tales (compilation)
Like the contrast. And how it perfectly interprets the concept of the cd.


The Feeling - Twelve Stops And Home
The single covers are even better.


Massive Attack - Collected
Look twice.


I'm From Barcelona - Let Me Introduce My Friends
Long live twee! This is the perfect portrait of a twee summer. Gotta love the colors.


Owen - At Home With Owen
What can I say? Beautifully photographed. Haunting. Sombre. It just kinda exudes this mist...I know it's a weird choice, but it's just amazing.


Beck - The Information
The coolest physical cd cover I've ever seen. From the image above, you may roll your eyes like 'WTF?', but it really is. See, it's a blank cover because you get all kinds of really cool stickers to stick on it, and makes your own one-of-a-kind cover (you can view the stickers here). Beck nailed this one, quite original concept.


Number One:
Band Of Horses - Everything All The Time
I can't really explain why I love this one so much. It's just...visually captivating, very well-painted (is it a painting? Looks like one). I really like the mossy green color, the reflection, the details, the font they used and the hint of gloom beneath it all. I'm not too crazy about the record itself, but this cover...I know it's just trees. There's no way to justify its awesomeness.

Think I'm missing out any great covers? Feel free to leave a comment and tell me.

blog comments powered by Disqus