Friday, January 05, 2007

Do I finally get The Shins?


I've been walking in and out of this song for several times now. At first listen I gave it a three star, bearing in mind that I might never understand what the fuss is all about. Well, I was patient enough to give it many tries, and now it's all slowly coming together, bit by bit. The off-beat melodic style. The smooth, warm-sounding vocals. The unintelligible lyrics. And the singalong bits towards the end. Basically, it's their new 'New Slang'. And now it's become my favorite song from them. Took a long time for it to grow on me, but it paid off, and now I think it's safe to say I finally get them now. It was weird, because this type of music usually wins me over in no time.
Now I'm all ready to check out the entire album, 'Wincing The Night Away', with an open mind and hopefully it will fully convert me into Shinnism.

So in case you haven't checked out the single (where have you been?), do so because this record's reserved to be one of the major indie releases this year, and already gained much hype in the blogosphere. Indie music junkies everywhere are gonna bring it up in just about every conversation for the next 12 months or so, so better prepare or get left out of the crowd.

The Shins - Phantom Limb

Pre-order the album

blog comments powered by Disqus