Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Indietastic #6: The Softlightes - Heart Made Of Sound


I never seemed to make out why I was able to keep mum about this infectious ditty from this Californian indie pop quartet.
I was completely astonished the first time I watched the video/heard the song.
With a title like that, all I could expect was a lush, lo-fi indie pop song. There is more than I bargained for. This is the kinda of song that's meant to be listened in wide open spaces, like when you're on a field all alone, you walk during the verses, you stomp your feet and wave your hands around when the chorus comes on, and you run like a maniac when the piano break rushes in. It all sounds amazing with enough experimental elements, but remains catchy enough to grow on you. The Softlightes was signed by Modular People, which means the guys are label mates with the likes of Yeah Yeah Yeahs, New Young Pony Club, Klaxons. Their EP with the same title is a good preview of what's to come, and their debut album will be released soon this spring. I've marked this on my hot list. And you might, too.
Now, let's talk about the video. It's incredible. Even if you don't like the song, you have to give some props to the director Kris Moyes, because there's really some awesome stop-motion animation here. It looked like it took him ages to complete all the shots, and the concept is simple: recreating the lyrics on different everyday objects. With the super fast editing, I have to watch it many times to not miss out on all the details that could be gone in a blink of an eye! One of my top favorite videos of 2006!

Watch the video, the common way.


To sum up, I really love it. Hope you'll give it a try.


As you can see in the press pic up there, one of the band members always seems very shy in front of the camera. Either he's so hideous he has to cover up his face or he really is a cat.


Download:
The Softlightes - Heart Made Of Sound
*Bonus:
The Softlightes - Noan And The Electric Cholos
Download the music video for Heart Made Of Sound (MOV format)
-> Buy Heart Made Of Sound EP
->Their Myspace


Off-topic: I wish there was a college who granted scholarships based on one's music taste.

blog comments powered by Disqus