Thursday, February 22, 2007

The OC Farewell Mix

The OC (2003-2007)


February 22. The series finale's supposed to air tonight. I'm quite curious about which song they choose for the final scene.
Just to make it clear from the get-go, I'm not a big OC fan. I have only finished season 1 so far. I was two seasons behind when I started watching the pilot, and didn't have time to catch up with the rest. Now that it's over, I'll probably sit down and have a marathon watch, some day. I already knew most of the twists of the plots, though. I think it started out as a good show, but the writers didn't know how to keep it standing out so it all went downhill. The music did more than compensating, though. Yeah, I confess: beside Mischa Barton, I watch it for the music. I think The OC played a significant part in the move of bringing indie music to the forefronts. Though its music director is the same woman behind the music picks for Grey's Anatomy, The OC is more about the obscure while the latter is more mainstream (Snow Patrol, The Fray).
The show has introduced me to great deal of bands I might not have heard much of before (i.e. Rooney, Beulah, etc.). I know some naysayers got this idea that when an indie band clears a song for a popular tv show, they sell out, which is just crap. Because 1. It brings food on their plates 2. It gains them more exposure, help book them more gigs, help sell records...which brings us back to no. 1. It wouldn't do them any harm.
As I love all the OC mix cds, and most of the songs heard on the show from first season to present, it's so hard for me to shortlist them to a mix. Some of them really cement the memorable moments. So finally, I decided to go with 16 songs. To say that these songs are good is an understatement. They're all incredibly great in their own rights, and if you haven't heard any ones of them, do so.
We'll see if there'll be a show that can fill in The OC's shoes, musically. We'll see.

Phantom Planet - California 2005
Rooney - I'm Shakin'
Death Cab For Cutie - A Lack Of Color
Death Cab For Cutie - A Movie Script Ending
Death Cab For Cutie - Soul Meets Body
Finley Quaye feat. Beth Orton & William Orbit - Dice
Beulah - Popular Mechanics For Lovers
Nada Surf - If You Leave
Jem - Maybe I'm Amazed
Keane - Walnut Tree
Of Montreal - Requiem for O.M.M.2
Pinback - Fortress
The Subways - Rock & Roll Queen
Imogen Heap - Speeding Cars
Belle And Sebastian - Song For Sunshine
Zero 7 - The Pageant Of The Bizarre
Youth Group - Daisychains



Buy cds from 'Music From The OC' series here



Update: Here's the last song ever heard on The OC.
Patrick Park - Life Is A Song

And here's a previous post on The OC's cover project

California here we come, right back where we started from...

blog comments powered by Disqus