Monday, March 19, 2007

Awesomely Covered


So I took a week break from blogging. Not that I had the luck to attend SXSW at Austin like some American music bloggers. I had to cram up for midterm tests, as I took a bunch of them last week for 5 days in a row. It was intense, but I'm glad I made it through. From now til summer, I won't be having as much free time so expect more megaposts, less profound commentary like this.
Anyway, here's a load of covers that I've enjoyed lately.

Shugo Tokumaru - Young Folks (Peter Bjorn and John Cover)
This is awesome. It's like an odder, more devious twin of the original. I love the percussion and the ghostly vocals. If you love the original, you'll love this one for sure. Done for the Coke Machine Podcast.

Ray Lamontagne and Damien Rice - To Love Somebody (Bee Gees Cover)
2 troubadours, Damien and Ray, doing a Bee Gees cover together, live on a French TV channel. If you ever have such a fantasy, it's fulfilled.

Cansei De Ser Sexy - One Way Or Another (Blondie Cover)
A perfect match. A fun electro-punk take on the stalker anthem.

The Killers - Romeo And Juliet (Dire Straits Cover)
Sounds more like The Killers doing 'Hot Fuss' than The Killers doing 'Sam's Town', which can only be a good thing.

Ben Lee - Float On (Modest Mouse Cover)
A good rework on the Modest Mouse's mainstream breakthrough hit. Here, the jangly guitars were replaced with a piano.

El Perro Del Mar - I Found A Reason (The Velvet Underground Cover)
She did a kitschy '60s-armchair-pop take on the song. It was good, but I still don't get her, though, she needs more significant materials that stick.

Final Fantasy - Fantasy (Mariah Carey Cover)
Ooh interesting, beat-oriented, violin live take. Part of the reason he chose to cover it because it's related to his stage name, you see.

Get Cape Wear Cape Fly - Standing In The Way Of Control (The Gossip cover)
I don't understand why people make such a fuss about The Gossip, but this Live Lounge cover is quite horntastic! There is a sax!

The Boy Least Likely To - Faith (George Michael cover)
The Boy Least Likely To brings their childish, twinkly, kid-friendly sounds to the George Michael's classic hit. They did it good.

Bright Eyes - Mushaboom (Feist Cover)
Finally, something that could have been good. But his gloomy voice doesn't suit the song at all. Still, good choice.


If you have noticed, I just add a new nifty widget below every post. From now on, you can rate the post on a scale of 5 based on the music. All it takes is one click, so feel free to do it and let me know whether you like what I offer or not!

Coming up:
some new videos, a new (kinda) cover from Lily Allen, my thoughts on the Travis comeback, and some dream pop music for the week...

blog comments powered by Disqus