Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sights & Sounds - It's A British Thing

In which I finally chipped in my thoughts on some music videos/songs that were put up on YouTube ages ago...All hails from the country that is UK.

Siobhan Donaghy - So You Say


So Ex-Sugababe is all full-fledged and ready to flap her own wings now etc. This second single off her sophomore 'Ghosts' is really quite a cinematic, eeriely powerful pop ballad, right? I love how the verse and the chorus sound like two completely different songs. Easy to name the influences: Tori Amos, Kate Bush...It's a grower that needs a little patience to get used to. Though I still have to work on the album, this song has been in my head for weeks now, so I guarantee she should score another top 50 hit with this one. The music video, though made with a medium budget, did a good job of capturing the emotions in the lyrics, and there's the weird ending to balance the 'looking pretty' and the 'left-field artsiness'. I really can't say a bad word about this.

Siobhan Donaghy - So You Say
Siobhan's MySpace


Calvin Harris - The Girls (dir: Kim Gehrig)


Second electropoptastic single from the very-tall-producer/self-proclaimed-Kylie-production-team-bitch Calvin Harris. A bit better than 'Acceptable in the 80s'. I think he's a little overhyped, yes he's talented, but I hope one day he would realize he's not that good a singer, put his ego aside and leave the singing to the others. I won't be stomping out to the record store for his album, but I've got nothing against him. The music video, apparently, is a 'homage' to some French filmmaker. Good casting with 'the girls', and who knows, Britney would kill to have those wigs.

Calvin Harris - The Girls
Download the video (MP4)
Calvin's MySpace


Kate Nash - Foundations (dir: Kinga Burza)


Ooh I'm fashionably late to the party. But what a lovely video this is! Of course, comparisons to Lily Allen is unavoidable (the adorable cursing, the endearing accent, how she already got her own type of dress nailed down, and even the mention of 'trainers' in the lyrics!). But all of that is pretty obvious since she's signed to a major label now. I can be cynical and say that she won't be around by next summer and all, but for now I admit this is an amazing song. I totally fell in love with it from the first listen, so I really hope her album will be chocked full with songs as fine as this.
Too bad I can only find a radio edit of this song with parts of lyrics cut out, and no curses. But still, worth a listen.

Kate Nash - Foundations
Kate Nash's MySpace


And while we're at it...
Paul McCartney - Dance Tonight (dir: Michel Gondry)

I appreciate the fact that Paul McCartney's the only Beatle who're still making music. In fact, he's still so 'in the now' that this next album 'Memory Almost Full' will be released by Starbucks label, and have Michel Gondry direct this costly video for him. This is no groundbreaking work in Michel's standards, but it's a really fun, easy watch, plus Mackenzie Crook from The Office and Natalie Portman made cameos, too. And, uhm, well, the song's quite nice too, you see...

Oh so he has a MySpace too



In other words, Zeon has landed on YouTube! How trendy! I just made an account for the blog over there, and from now on, it will be served for the sole purpose of uploading cool music videos that have yet been uploaded or have been to little recognition. If I don't like it, I don't upload it. There has been a total of 8 videos so far, including some rare Feist live performance from the 'Let It Die' era. Click below and see for yourself!

Zeon's YouTube profile

Just a reminder, the Veronicas giveaway will end this Saturday and the Flight of the Conchords one will too this Sunday, so hurry up if you still want to enter.

Have a nice day, everyone! The Graduation mix coming up, then I'll be disappearing for a while.

blog comments powered by Disqus