Saturday, July 28, 2007

Megapost: Music From The Simpsons

Okay, I assume that most people have seen the movie by now (I still haven't, so no spoilers, please). That's me and timing, this post was supposed to be available online last Friday, but life got in the way...(insert more lame excuses for being a lazy blogger). So for those who have seen it and felt disappointed, there's music from the tv show back then, and for those who haven't, there's some from the movie soundtrack, too.

I've always been a huge fan of The Simpsons. I'm as old as the show itself, and yes I'm one of those few hardcore fans who still watch it to this day, no matter how everybody's saying it's gone to the dogs and all. I still find the new episodes funny, maybe not at the level of the early years, but enough to keep me tuning in each week. I'm so excited about this movie that even if I could only see one in theaters this year, this would be it. I don't care if it won't live up to my expectations (looks like it didn't for critics, though it's already on the top of the US box office). I'm just gonna be there and get this tick for my 'things to do this lifetime' list. That's what it is.

Let's get on to the music for late celebration, shall we?

First, here are the Danny-Elfman-penned Simpsons fans, reinterpreted by Green Day, Yo La Tengo and Sonic Youth.

Green Day - The Simpsons Theme
Yo La Tengo - The Simpsons Theme
Sonic Youth - The Simpsons Theme

And who can forget the Itchy & Scratchy theme?

The Itchy & Scratchy Theme

Those familiar with the show all know that every now and then, the end credits will be backed by the theme being 'remixed' to be in conjunction with that episode's plot. Here are some of my favorites:

The Simpsons Theme - End Credits (Addams Family Style)
The Simpsons Theme - End Credits (Treehouse Of Horror)
The Simpsons Theme - End Credits (Afro Cuban)
The Simpsons Theme - End Credits (Hill Street Blues)
The Simpsons Theme - End Credits (Big Band Vegas)
The Simpsons Theme - End Credits (Jazz Quartet)
The Simpsons Theme - End Credits (Phillip Glass)

The Simpsons won't be The Simpsons without the numbers. Enough said. These bring back so many memories:

The Simpsons - Planet Of The Apes (Troy McClur!)
The Simpsons - Yvan Eth Nioj (When, um, N*Sync guest starred and Bart joined a boyband. Try to read the title backwards!)
The Simpsons - We Do! (The Stonecutters Song) (That secret society Homer was in once...)
The Simpsons - Baby On Board (When Homer, Barney, Apu & Skinner pulled a Beatles and made a comeback performance on the rooftop of Moe's. Ragtime!)
The Simpsons - Minimum Wage
The Simpsons - Happy Just The Way We Are
(two songs from the Mary Poppins musical episode! Love that one!)
The Simpsons - Who Needs The Kwik-E-Mart (when Apu was fired from the Kwik-E-Mart and stayed at Homer's house. By the way, those 7 Eleven turned into Kwik-E-Mart stores: Excellent! That's excellent hypemaking right there.)
The Simpsons - I Want Candy (Yes, a cover of that song, from the spin-off episode)
The Simpsons - Don't Cry For Me, Kids Of Springfield (Lisa's Evita parody, in this episode she revealed her email address: smartgirl63@yahoo.com! I wonder if someone actually owns it. Also, if I remember correctly, Homer's is chunkylover@aol.com!)

The Simpsons Movie: The Soundtrack

My copy is the normal one, but the limited edition is one hell of a sweet deal. I wish I could have one of those delicious inedible pinky donuts! Check out the picture below:


Hans Zimmer is the composer and after listening to it(and normally, I'd never listen to scores, okay, maybe sometimes), I actually found myself enjoying it. Props to him for pulling it off. It's all orchestral and cinematic, but he was able to capture the oddball sense of humor in the music itself. I didn't skip a track. The titles alone are worth a chuckle or two, and there's even a remix tacked at the end of the soundtrack. Here, I include three very short tracks, all of which clocks in only over a minute but they're so much fun to listen to. Or maybe it's just me, no?
If you don't have the time, just get the 'Spider Pig' one. It's hysterical. 'Spider pig, spider pig, do whatever a spider pig does...'

Hans Zimmer - The Simpsons Theme (Orchestral Version)
Hans Zimmer - Spider Pig
Hans Zimmer - Bart's Doodle

Buy the soundtrack here (if you're a big fan like me)
And but the Limited Edition one (if you're a bigger, and richer fan than me)

Any great Simpsons numbers that I'm missing here? How did you feel about the film? Drop a comment and tell me about it!

blog comments powered by Disqus