Sunday, August 19, 2007

Midsummer Mix

This summer so far is not the best summer I've ever had. It's practically raining all the time. Or maybe the weather and my mood just go together accordingly.
Anyway, it was during a rainy night that I remembered I haven't compiled a mix for this summer yet. After about fifteen minutes browsing my library, I came up with these 12 tracks. All breezy, laidback, and melodically lovely, just like the way an ideal summer should be. You can either check out just a song or two or download the whole thing as a zip. Here's hoping you'll enjoy them all.



Grandaddy - The Nature Anthem
Adorable-sounding kids singing about how a perfect summer should be. You'll be singing along before the song officially ends.
Belle & Sebastian - Another Sunny Day
Belle & Sebastian has a few songs that have the summer vibe. Considering I already picked 'A Summer Wasting' for last year's mix, I'd go with this one. Achingly gorgeous song. I had no idea why they didn't release it as a single, since it's really one of their best songs to date.
Husky Rescue - Nightless Night (Original Radio Edit)
Husky Rescue's from Finland. Not sure if nightless nights do really exist there, but the song's definitely fun and infectious, though a little repetitive.
Flunk - On The Balcony
"All I wanna do is sit here on my balcony and think about you and me, and how happy we could be...". Lovely song from the Norwegian electronica outfit.
Emilianna Torrini - Unemployed In Summertime
Probably the best song about summer from an Icelandic artist. (unless Bjork and Sigur Ros also have good songs about summer. Do they?)
Franz Ferdinand - Wine In The Afternoon
B-side to double A-side single 'L. Wells/The Fallen'. Tell you what, 'Wine In The Afternoon' really should have been the A-side instead of 'The Fallen'. Nice guitar solo. There's a great music video for it, too.
Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country
Title track from the album that came third place in my best album list for 2006 (which sadly never gets published). Traceyanne's voice makes me want to actually live in the sixties.
Coconut Records - West Coast
The only 2007 song in the mix. Coconut Records is the side project of actor/musician Jason Schwartzman. It feels like the sequel to Phantom Planet's 'California', which makes sense since he's their ex-drummer.
The Sundays - When I'm Thinking About You
The kind of song that needs to be listened to while lying on the rooftop, watching clouds roll by and feel the breeze flowing. It's so beautiful I could cry.
Keren Ann - Right Now & Right Here
I think this might be an English version of a French standard. You can almost hear the sounds of seagulls and sea waves(oh wait, they're already in the song!). Soothing.
Morcheeba + Hubert Laws - Summertime
Skye Edwards covering Ella Fitzgerald. Enough said.
Wendy & Bonnie - By The Sea
I found it hard to believe that this song was from 1969. A timeless dreamy track for those aimless beach walks. It was sampled for the intro of 'Hello Sunshine' by Super Furry Animals. Couldn't think of a better way to conclude the mix.


Download the whole mix as a zip here.


What's your summer anthem for 2007? Feel free to drop a comment.

blog comments powered by Disqus