Friday, June 20, 2008

Quickie: Ladyhawke - Paris Is Burning

Let's get this out of my system first: I'm not really fond of this new electro movement. I tried, but I just can't seem to understand the appeal. I still can't tell Cut Copy from Van She or The Presets or The Midnight Juggernauts or whoever from down under these days. The abundance of remixes and such from these acts pouring down on music aggregators everyday don't help the case much either. I know it's supposed to be all hip and 'now', and apparently I just don't belong to those circles. So it's sensible for me to be skeptical upon another new artist on the Modular roster, Ladyhawke. The initial reaction after watching her vid for 'Back Of The Van' was 'Okay, it's all silly and tongue-in-cheek, I get it, but really, why would she want to revive this look/sound?'. Never would I expect that a few days later, the chorus 'You set me on, you set me on, you set me on fire' just randomly popped up in my head and wouldn't let go. I therefore came to accept that song is a quite-alright, 3/5 one.
Well, her latest single, 'Paris Is Burning', is a solid 4/5. This time, I love it from the first listen, and I just have to listen to it at least once a day. It's that catchy. The '80s vibe is still prominent, but I've learnt to live with it. I've officially put my armor down. Ladyhawke, you won me, now let's hope you have a few more tricks up your flannel sleeves.



Ladyhawke - Paris Is Burning
[alt. link]





Myspace

blog comments powered by Disqus