Friday, July 04, 2008

Remixed: Jens Lekman, Rilo Kiley


Jens Lekman - Sipping On the Sweet Nectar (Ultracity Vocal Dub)
Jens, say hi to italo disco. Italo disco, meet Jens. I can tell you two are gonna hit it off just fine.


Jens Lekman's 'Sipping On The Sweet Nectar', my fave track from last year's 'Night Falls Over Kortedala', finally got the 'epic' remix treatment it deserved. The digital EP is out now digitally with three fantastic remixes by Ultracity and Bogdan Irkük of Rollerboys Recordings. Hear Jens like you never heard him before. Check out the taster above, and stream/purchase the whole thing here or on Sweden iTunes. It's worth it.

*****

I didn't hear much of Rilo Kiley's pre-major-label music, so I wasn't as enraged as everyone with 'Under The Blacklight'. Sure, there are some truly cringeworthy moments like '15 Again', or that horrendous 'Smoke Detector', both of which I'd never want to sit through again, but there are some good ones worth returning to, like 'Silver Lining' and 'Breaking Up'. The latter is probably the best one that spun from their new direction, so summery and catchy, especially with that hands-wave-in-the-air gospel choir bit 'Ooh, it feels good to be free'. So when I heard Hot Chip was commissioned for a remix a while ago, I immediately thought of a wonky electropop treatment as per usual. But instead, we've got 8 minutes of yearning ambience. And it reminded me that: ouch, breakups can be quite painful, too. Included in the Breakin' Up EP available on iTunes.


Rilo Kiley - Breakin' Up (Hot Chip Remix)

blog comments powered by Disqus