Thursday, January 28, 2010

Take me out tonight...
















 
Two months ago, I found myself sitting in a cab on the way back to my dorm at 2AM. There I was, still reeling from the overflowing joy of an amazing gig experience. The streets were literally deserted. Trees basked in an ember-colored glow rolled by. Right at that moment, suddenly the lyrics of The Smiths' "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" popped in my head. And it just felt so... right. Finally, I understood it. Now I don't know much about The Smiths, and I think I've only heard about 5 songs of them. But this one particular song will forever be engraved to that special memory of mine.

Here are some fantastic covers of it.


Angie Hart's version is a stripped-down piano one with her angelic voice.

Death Cab For Cutie's is a typical Ben Gibbard acoustic rendition.

The Lucksmiths' makes a bittersweet twee-pop version.

And I conclude with the distinctive baritone of Neil Hammond of The Divine Comedy.

blog comments powered by Disqus